Staff in Civil Litigation Department
The department of Civil Litigation and International Law is mandated to provide legal services to Government in all areas of public and private law, administrative law, constitutional law, public international law and private international law.
To provide legal services to Government Ministries, Departments, Agencies and The Gambia's overseas mission with an emphasis on the adherence to Rule of Law, Good Governance and Justice for all.
The department of civil litigation and international is headed by the Director of Civil Litigation who is deputized by the Deputy Director of Civil Litigation.The Department further consists of Principal State Counsels, Senior State Counsels and State counsels, in this order.
Representing Government in all civil matters at the Magistrates Courts, High Courts, Court of Appeal and Supreme Court
- Defending Government
- Suing on behalf of Government
- Recovery of debts owned to Government
- Negotiating out of courts settlements on behalf of Government
INTERNATIONAL LAW FUNCTIONS
- Vetting of International agreements between The Gambia and other Nations
- Proffering advice to Government Ministries, Departments, Agencies and the Gambia's Oversees Missions on matters relating to international law
- Ratification of International Agreements
- Ensuring that all Treaties entered into by The Gambia are deposited and Registered in the Ministry accordance with the Constitution of The Gambia
- Ensuring observance of The Gambia's treaty obligations.
- Responding to communications from the United Nations Human Rights Commission (UNHCR) and the African Commission on Human and People's Right (ACHPR) on allegations of violations of humans rights, and other International Organization in general.
- Coordinating The Gambia's defense internationally in arbitation cases before Arbitral Tribunals as well as representing The Gambia at ECOWAS Community Court.